Friday, March 30, 2007

Why not stick with direct-attached storage?

"If all else fails, I could just stick with tried-and-true direct-attached storage on each of my servers. However, I feel that this would be pretty short-sighted. With direct-attached storage, I would not gain any of the benefits normally associated with shared storage, including:

  • Centralized space allocation from a large pool of storage.

  • Ability to make use of some high-availability applications, such as VMware VMotion.

  • The ability to cluster certain applications, which often requires shared storage.

  • Centralized snapshots.

  • Disaster recovery features.

Personally, I feel that a shared storage solution is simply better than constantly throwing more space in servers … and then hoping it’s all in the right place. After having successfully migrated to a centrally-managed, shared storage solution in my previous position, it’s high on the to do list in my new job."

Source:
Scott Lowe
Tech Republic
February 13, 2007
Full Text